Architecture is one of the oldest and most prestigious professions in the world. Architecture is an art form through which people create the design of buildings. It is an art form that has been used to shape and define civilizations throughout history. In this article, we have listed down some of the most amazing fun facts about architecture.
1. LEGO used to make special bricks for Architects. The modulex bricks were smaller and more scaled but they got discontinued in the 1970’s.
2. Architecture was once an Olympic sport. During the first four decades of the modern Olympic Games, around 151 medals were awarded for music, literature, sculpture and architecture.
3. Celebrated architect Zaha Hadid was known for never designing a building containing a right angle.
4. A French postman spent 33 years building the ideal palace with the stones he collected during his daily round. And not just any stones, a special type of hardened sandstone moulded by time and water into many wondrous shapes.
5. The Colosseum is the largest amphitheater in the world. It is one of the greatest Roman architecture and engineering works.
6. The Forbidden City, imperial palaces in Ming and Qing Dynasties are famous not only because of the palaces themselves but also because of their great architectural style. It stands for the culmination of the development of classical Chinese and East Asian architecture and influences the development of Chinese architecture.
7. There is a skyscraper in Manhattan which has no windows.
8. During a powerful storm the Empire State Building will sway several feet back and forth.
9. The word Architecture comes from the Greek word Arkhitekton which means Chief Builder.
10. There is a bridge in Lima, Peru which was built in 1610 and is still standing. Its mortar was mixed using 10,000 egg whites instead of water. It is also known as the Bridge of Eggs.
11. The Aurora Ice Hotel in Alaska was made entirely of ice. Its beds, bar, chairs, ceiling and even walls were made of ice. However, it was closed by the fire marshal for not having smoke detectors.