PU syndicate recommends Rs 9.39 billion budget

PU syndicate recommends Rs 9.39 billion budget

PU syndicate recommends budget

The University of Punjab (PU) syndicate meeting, presided over by Vice-Chancellor Prof Niaz Ahmed on Wednesday, recommends a Rs 9.39 billion budget for the approval of the Senate for the year 2020-21. Despite facing serious financial pressure amid COVID 19, PU Syndicate decided not to increase fees for campus students so that parents will not have to bear the burden on their pockets.

On the direction of the vice chancellor for increasing PU’s international ranking and socio-economic impact research, the PU Syndicate made a major increase in research funding from Rs 165 million to Rs 380 million as it was a policy of the administration to promote research culture. PU would also continue overseas scholarship schemes for teachers.  The university has allocated Rs 32 million for participation in national and international conferences. The Syndicate also recommended the establishment of the Center for Health and Safety and Institutional Research Center. The university faces a deficit of Rs 431 million which would be managed by reducing expenditures and adopting austerity measures.
The university expects a total grant of Rs 2.5 billion from Higher Education Commission, 27.6 percent of the total budget while PU would generate the rest of 72.4 percent from own sources.
According to other salient features of the budget, special students will also be provided with free education along with boarding facilities while students taking admission on sports basis will be provided with free education. The university will continue to waive off tuition fee of Hafiz-e-Quran. Punjab University will provide Rs 152 million scholarships to the students. Moreover, HEC scholarships worth 97 million rupees and PEEF scholarships will also be provided to students. In the budget, Punjab University is providing Rs 209 million Hostel Subsidy, Rs 34 million transport subsidy and Rs 38 million internet subsidy to the students and in addition to the above, subsidy on electricity bills in teaching departments is also being provided. PU has allocated Rs 149 million for development projects.
Related: UO Syndicate Approves Senior Faculty Recruitment, New Academic Block

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “PU syndicate recommends Rs 9.39 billion budget”

Your email address will not be published.