Education is the basic right of everyone. It plays a vital role in our life as it makes us better people, nurtures our minds, and polishes our skills. More people are now aware of the importance of education and how it benefits us. Modern education has now become a more structured system. So, what is formal education? If you are wondering to find out more about the term formal education, then you have landed on the right page.
What is formal education?
Formal education is a structured or systematic modern form of learning. It usually takes place at school, where students learn academic as well as basic or trade skills. Formal education begins at elementary school and continues up till secondary school or more. Formal learning is given by qualified professors or teachers as they are supposed to be efficient in giving lessons or in the art of instruction. It also revolves around strict rules and discipline.
What are the basic examples of formal education?
Some of the main basic examples that involve formal education are known:
- School grading or certification which involves college, and universities degrees or diplomas
- Planned education of numerous different subjects which consists of proper syllabus and attendance.
- Learning in a classroom full of other students.
What are the different levels of formal education?
The formal education system is divided into 4 main categories which include:
In preschool, children are taught basic things such as reading, writing, counting, spelling, etc.
Primary school deals with the first few years of education for students. Students are taught to learn fundamentals of reading, learning concepts of science, maths, and other levels of education.
Secondary school is also famously known as High school where students are taught at an advanced level.
The post-secondary school includes everything about undergraduate and graduate programs, law school, fashion and design school, medical school, etc.
What are the characteristics of formal education?
The main characteristics of formal education are quite organized as the syllabus is already planned and deliberate. It is subject-oriented, and the syllabus must be covered at a specific time, so the kids are taught accordingly. The students are taught by qualified teachers and the structure is known hierarchically.
What are the pros of formal education?
It plays a vital role in our lives and there are many pros:
- Students are surrounded by qualified teachers so they can easily have access to trained professionals who can help them with their lessons. Easily acquire knowledge.
- Formal education is an easy structured systematic learning process of modern education.
- Institutions are managerially organized.
- Organized educational model/system and up-to-date courses and syllabus.
- Easy access to jobs.
What are the cons of formal education?
While there are many advantages, on the other hand, there are a few disadvantages as well:
- A waste of time as some lazy students may not be able to learn properly and distract other students.
- Costly as compared to other forms of learning and education.
- Some children may be at risk of adopting bad habits at school or college.